Re: troubleshoot lockups

BartlebyScrivener wrote:
Hello.

I moved from Windows XP to Debian Etch about a year ago. Rock solid
until recently. I apply all updates via synaptic. Recently added the
unofficial and multimedia repositories to my sources to get mplayer
and a few others.

I don't mean to suggest that this is causing my recent problem. It's
just the only thing I can think of.  In the last week I have had two
complete lockups, which force me to power off.

I doubt you'll find much in the log files, but take a look in /var/logs. You can "tail -50 syslog", etc for whatever logs you want to take a quick look at.

You can also install and run memtest86 for a general test of your system RAM; you might want to check the temperature of your CPU/system. You might want to try a different browser/office suite/whatever for a day or two. You might want to try a different window manager/environment for a day or two. Etc.

Also, when it locks up, is it REALLY locking up? Can you switch to a VT (Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc)? Do the CAPSLOCK and/or NumLOCK lights toggle when you press the corresponding key? Can you ssh in from another box?

--
Kent