troubleshoot lockups

Hello.

I moved from Windows XP to Debian Etch about a year ago. Rock solid
until recently. I apply all updates via synaptic. Recently added the
unofficial and multimedia repositories to my sources to get mplayer
and a few others.

I don't mean to suggest that this is causing my recent problem. It's
just the only thing I can think of.  In the last week I have had two
complete lockups, which force me to power off.

What log file do I look at on my system to get a clue for the source
of the problem?

I ran Aptitude and discovered one conflict between Cupsys and lpr. I
applied the recommended fixes.

Any other trouble shooting tips appreciated.

rd