Re: System won't boot after successful Debian installation

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, David Schulberg shared this with us all:
>--} I went through the entire installation process again to see if I could
> end --} up with a bootable installation.

Coming late into this thread, I just wonder if you partitioned the hard drive
during the install process? Any help I may attempt to give could be right off
the wall, not being a Linux guru and never having installed without keeping
control of the whole process myself.

So when you placed the media into the drive, and typed <expert> at the boot
prompt and went through all the language and keyboard and those things, then
came to detecting the hard drive. It all went well?

Then you custom partitioned the hard disk? Added a </> partition of about
500MB or larger, depending if you want to install more operating systems in
the future?

Then went through the installing the base system, creating a root password, a
user password, configured the package manager, and then allowed grub to look
about? Grub looked about and found no other operating system or maybe a
windows system? Declared this and asked if it should install itself in the
MBR? You clicked on <Yes> or <continue> It installed itself and rather than
allow the system to put mega packages onto your system, you clicked on finish
the installation, and your media was ejected and the machine rebooted. But
couldn't reboot? Got hung up somewhere? But there were no error messages
during the install?

Is that right?

Or did you just install by hitting the enter key when the media presented you
with a boot prompt, went through the processing, which I have never done and
so can't comment on, and did the same the second time and expected something
different?

If that's the case, try the method roughly dscribed above. It's true that you
will have to do the work of installing packages after a successful reboot.
But at least you will know that your hard drive is fine, found and can be
booted?

Maybe not much help, but something there might be of assistance.

Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524