Re: So, what can Privoxy do for me?

On Nov 19, 2007, at 11:30 PM, andy wrote:
If I install Privoxy on my Deb machine behind a firewall, Privoxy will trim out all of the junk that plugins currently do (e.g. noscript and adbuster, etc.), as well as block cookies. It will not mask/block my IP address however.

Right.

If I install TOR on my Deb machine, will that add a layer of privacy/anonymity even though (again) I am behind a firewall with a DSL modem which has a fixed IP address?

Yup. That's exactly what it's for. It uses a technique called "onion routing" to create an anonymous, encrypted channel. The details are beyond the scope of this message but they're described well on the project's website:
http://www.torproject.org/

I could install TOR on the firewall (it is an OpenBSD set up), but was curious about what it can do inside the firewall.

If you run it inside the firewall, it will be able to make outgoing connections but won't be able to accept incoming ones. Unless you want to join the Tor network as a server, this is just fine.

Be forewarned that Tor's anonymity comes at the expense of speed. Your requests are being routed through at least three other systems, more or less randomly chosen around the world, so it can be pretty sluggish.