Re: Which AM2 motherboard and chipset do you use?

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 12:39:58AM +0800, Augustin wrote:

> Hello,

> For the power supply, I am thinking to buy a 500~550 Watt, 80plus
> certified unit.

just a quick note on power supplies. Its not the total wattage that is
of concern, but how that power is distributed into the different
rails. How many watts are hitting the 3.3 volt rail, the 5 volt rail
etc. Are they split -- some have so many watts to one 5 volts rails
and another amount going to another 5 volt rail etc. Its worth the
time to figure out what you actually need for in different areas.

Case in point: I bought a ps for my home server about a year ago. It
carries 4 big PATA drives. All the big power supplies (you know, the big
super flashy 600W monsters) didn't supply enough power (allowing for a
reasonable margin) for PATA drives, it was mostly routed to the SATA
connectors. I ended up with a much cheaper, lower wattage ps that
happens to put the power where I *need* it.