Re: So, what can Privoxy do for me?

Celejar wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:14:25 +0000 (UTC)
Rasky <raskylee@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:01:24 -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

[Privoxy] will block tracking cookies and the like, but it won't do
anything to hide your IP address.
How does it improve on using browser plugins like Adblock and Noscript? I
realise it adds the architecture to use Tor and other remote proxy systems
but what does it add by itself?

One advantage is that you can easily maintain one configuration for
multiple browsers / machines / users.  Additionally, because it isn't a
plugin, there's no chance of it affecting the stability of FF / IW,
something plugins are notorious for doing. [I don't know about these in
particular; I use Noscript and have never had a problem with it, but
I've not used Adblock much.]  In the same vein, plugins often need to
be updated when browsers are, and can get out of sync; privoxy is a
rock-solid solution, and it will work for *all* browsers, even (x)links.

Thanks for your comments so far. Because I am a simple bear, let me see if I am getting this right:

If I install Privoxy on my Deb machine behind a firewall, Privoxy will trim out all of the junk that plugins currently do (e.g. noscript and adbuster, etc.), as well as block cookies. It will not mask/block my IP address however.

If I install TOR on my Deb machine, will that add a layer of privacy/anonymity even though (again) I am behind a firewall with a DSL modem which has a fixed IP address? I could install TOR on the firewall (it is an OpenBSD set up), but was curious about what it can do inside the firewall.

Thanks again for your comments. These are very helpful

Andy