Re: browser oddities

On Nov 16, 2007 7:12 AM, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> > Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> >>
> >> adblock is great! But does not seem to work on all the flash images.
> >> Sometimes I see a flash advertisement. But there is no "block" tab.
> >> Any suggestions about that?
> >
> > Any example page? You can probably try to block it in the "Blockable
> > items" tab of Adblock+. Also, I heard that flashblock (or some similar
> > sounding extension) is good, though I never used it myself.
> >

> I have both installed and find it works quite well.  With flashblock,
> you only run flash applets IF YOU WANT TO by clicking on them.
> Otherwise, they don't run.

Flashblock is great, I used to install it first thing on a new browser
install. Now I use Noscript, which can block Java, Silverlight, iframes,
and any other <object>s, and, of course, scripts. Noscript Flash and
Java blocking works just like Flashblock. The script blocking is more
annoying until you turn off the "slide up" notifications and allow JS on
the the top JS-using sites you visit. From there on it works great.

Between Adblock+ and Noscript I find many pages load much faster
and browser stability is much improved.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers