Re: NVIDIA card & lenny

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 08:59:53 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed November 14 2007, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Did you change all instances of "nv" to "nvidia" in your xorg.conf
> > before you restarted the X server (or restarted [kgx]dm if you use
> > graphical log-in)?
> >
> there is only one driver line that I change from nv/nvidia

What I don't understand is that you had this in your Xorg log:

(WW) NV(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xc0000000,0x8000000)

This is a warning coming from the nv driver which should not be loaded
anymore. I would now expect something like "nvidia driver/kernel module
cannot be loaded".

> > > (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
> > > found)
> >
> THIS seems to be the klilling line..
> I even commented out the "glx" line and retried it, no success.

The GLX extension is activated automatically these days, I think.

[...]

> > grep -i glx /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  100.14.19  Wed Sep 12 14:48:02 PDT 2007

[...]

[ snip: all relevant files and symlinks seem to be there ]

The nividia glx module is loaded, but nvidia_drv is not used. The most
likely reason for this is that the nvidia kernel module cannot be
loaded. We should have seen an error message about this earlier, though
(in the xorg log). Maybe you still had the "nv" driver in your xorg.conf
when you posted the output of the EE/WW grep command, or the X server
had not been restarted?

I need to see the xorg error messages after a (failed?) start with the
nvidia driver; something is wrong in your configuration file if you
still have messages from the nv driver. (You can save the messages and
change back to the nv driver after that, if you need X to use your email
program.)

          Florian   |