Re: docx files

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 01:32:01PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/09/07 11:07, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >> This is what I did, for shure, with all needed explanation about standard, and
> >> what was wrong with this format. But, we will get more and more of those, and
> >> I was wondering if i was any easy way to read these documents. Installing
> >> Wine looks like one way, but I am not going to take it.So, for now I will ask
> >> senders not to use this format.
> >
> > I have done this as well, and will likely continue to do so. In fact,
> > I've started asking people who send .doc files that I *can* read to
> > resend them just on principle. I particularly enjoy responding with a
> > "oh really? your word processor can't save files in an ISO standard
> > format? how unfortunate, perhaps you should look into a different word
> > processor..." and chuckle with glee. Of course, I'm in a situation
> > where I can afford to do this. I know others are not :(
> >
> > But it's fun!
>
> And to the 95% of people who have no clue what a word processor is
> it makes you look like a jackass.

I have an advantage here in that I don't *have* to deal with the issue
much at all and when I do, it's exclusively a situation where someone
I'm paying is doing it, so I get to be an ornery customer. I also am
lucky in that I just don't care what they think.

Florian is right, that is indeed part of the fun. And its also an
opportunity to educate people. It usually ends up that we have a nice
discussion about it all and they go away either curious to learn more
or thinking that I'm a slightly loony but good natured fellow.

As to liking being a jackass, well, I'll admit there is a certain
satisfaction to it sometimes. But don't assign more malice to my
actions than there actually is.

And I'll drop it there.

except to point out:

> Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day.
> Hit him with a fish, and he goes away for good!

most people who hit others with fishes are either members of Monty
Python or considered to be jackasses... ;)

cheers, and send some warm weather my way.