Re: mysterious loss of internet connection

Steve Kleene wrote:
Is it strange that I can't get past the router with ping or with a browser
but I do get name resolution?  Surely I have to get past the browser for
name resolution.

It's not the same thing: your /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to the router, so the router implements a nameserver itself, and resolving an address is building two connections (or let's call it "network paths" (since UDP isn't offering connections)), one between your computer and your router and one between the router and upstream nameservers. Versus the ping case which only has one direct network path.

Christian.