Re: mysterious loss of internet connection

Steve Kleene wrote:
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to continue chasing this down.  It may
go slowly, since the problem is at home but my only connection now is at
work.

- I'd check the output of "route -n": is "0.0.0.0" going to the router's ip?
- try "tcpdump -i eth0 -p -n" during pinging of outside adresses, that may give a clue (are the addresses correct, are packages returned, ..?) - if you can attach to the DSL directly, bypassing the Netgear hub, try this (assuming the DLS comes with an ethernet connector or so and you've got a dhcp client installed)? (Maybe nowadays some devices are doing remote firmware upgrades and that's the problem?)

Christian.