Re: mysterious loss of internet connection

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 08:49:10AM -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
> My Etch machine at home is connected to a DSL service via a Netgear hub
> (router) at home.  Sometime in the last two days, the machine lost its
> network connection to the outside world.  It seems to be a software problem.
> It had been fine since I built it in January.
>
> Here's what I know:
>
> 1. If I boot from the XP partition, I have full internet service anywhere I
>    try.  So the hardware seems OK.  There is only one NIC.
> 2. Running Etch, I can ping the router (192.168.0.1) and check its software
>    configuration in iceweasel.  The router configuration is the same as it's
>    always been.  It shows that the router has received an IP address
>    (10.something) from the ISP.
> 3. I cannot ping or otherwise reach any site past the router by name or by IP
>    address.  If I try, it times out.

Are you pinging by IP or DNS name?  Try by IP to remove the possibility
of a DNS problem.  From a box that does work, ping debian.org and get
the IP.  Then from the problem box, ping that IP and see if it goes
through.  If it does, then its a DNS problem.

Doug.