Re: intall nvidia driver on debian lenny

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 20:31:09 +0200, Bogdan Marian wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 19:21:00 +0200, Bogdan Marian wrote:

Florian Kulzer wrote:

Bogdan Marian wrote:

[...]

Nick, I'm running Lenny, so nvidia-glx is not in the repos...
Michal, I tried the methods on that page and it didn't work... Last
thing i tried was to install the NVIDIA way, using the Nvidia .bin
supplied from their home site...still no luck.

Which kernel do you run? (Post the output of "uname -a".)

Which nvidia card are we talking about? (Post the relevant part of your
"lspci" output.)

Which version of the nvidia driver did you install? (We need the exact
name of the file that you downloaded and executed.) Did you get any
error messages or warnings when you attempted the installation?

Change your xorg.conf to use the nvidia driver and (re)start X. After it
fails/crashes, run the following two commands and post their output:

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

egrep -i 'nvidia|glx' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

[...]

No error while installing ( except for a warning about the version of the
gcc (it 4.2 as i'm on lenny) )

I think it can cause problems if you use a different version of gcc to
compile the nvidia module (as compared to what was used to compile the
kernel).

NVIDIA FX5200

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run

mydebian:/home/bogdan# lspci

[...]

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

[...]

mydebian:/home/bogdan# uname -a
Linux mydebian 2.6.22-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:24:01 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions
is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

OK, it does load the Xorg driver for nvidia ("nvidia_drv.so" and/or
"nvidia_drv.o" located in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/) but then it
cannot load the nvidia kernel module (nvidia.ko).

First, check if the kernel module exists at all:

find /lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/ -name nvidia.ko

(I would expect that the file exists; the nvidia installer should have
 given you a clear error if it had not been able to create the module.)

If the file exists, try to load it by running as root:

modprobe -v nvidia

(I suspect your problem is caused by the gcc version mismatch and/or the
 paravirt/GPL-only issue. I hope that the modprobe command will give you
 an error message which tells us what exactly is going on.)

Hello,

This is what is gives me....btw, sorry for the late answer..:

mydebian:/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686# modprobe -v nvidia
install /sbin/lrm-video nvidia
sh: /sbin/lrm-video: No such file or directory
FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia