Re: intall nvidia driver on debian lenny

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 18:52:51 +0200, Bogdan Marian wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

>> OK, it does load the Xorg driver for nvidia ("nvidia_drv.so" and/or
>> "nvidia_drv.o" located in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/) but then it
>> cannot load the nvidia kernel module (nvidia.ko).
>> First, check if the kernel module exists at all:
>>
>> find /lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/ -name nvidia.ko

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here, so I will try to be clear: The
line above is a command that I want you to run ("find" is a utility to
search for files by name, date, owner, and other properties). I want to
see the output of this command because I need to know for sure that the
nvidia kernel module exists.

>> (I would expect that the file exists; the nvidia installer should have
>>  given you a clear error if it had not been able to create the module.)
>>
>> If the file exists, try to load it by running as root:
>>
>> modprobe -v nvidia

[...]

> This is what is gives me....btw, sorry for the late answer..:
>
> mydebian:/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686# modprobe -v nvidia
> install /sbin/lrm-video nvidia
> sh: /sbin/lrm-video: No such file or directory
> FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia

Which non-Debian (Ubuntu?) packages did you install on your system? They
seem to have put something into /etc/modprobe.d which screws up the load
mechanism for the nvidia module. This would explain why the nvidia
script reported a successful installation and nevertheless the module
cannot be loaded.

To figure out what is going on, I need to see the output of the
following two commands:

grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/*

dpkg -S lrm-video

          Florian   |