Re: Tool to configure sound

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 08:18:35PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> I think I'd also consider upgrading the alsa driver. I've been on the
> alsa-user list for ages, and most recently on the alsa-devel list. the alsa
> folks are working hard on resolving problems, particularly with hda intel,
> and patches are constantly being applied to the nightly builds of the alsa
> driver, which is available from.
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/
>
> The now current 1.0.15 alsa driver is available from.
> http://alsa-project.org
>
> Richard is using Debian Etch, and on my Etch using the 2.6.18-5-686 kernel,
> the alsa driver version is showing as 1.0.12rc1 (Thu Jun 22 13:55:50 2006
> UTC). This works fine for my audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1), but for your
> laptop Richard, if it's the latest, and greatest, you may just have to go
> with upgrading the alsa driver.

Well, latest and greatest it isn't.  I bought it because it was cheap in
a clearance sale and had 'doze on it, which I needed for 5 minutes to set up
a GPRS modem. (Actually, it turned out I didn't need it after all...).
By my standards, it is recent (my next most modern is the IBM 600E)

Anyway, suggestion noted: I'll start with the kernel and move on to the
alsa driver if necessary.

Thanx,

--
richard