Re: Tool to configure sound

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 08:28:08AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread yet or not, but at
> least some (well, okay, one -- mine!) distinguishes between onboard
> sound and an external amplifier. My rig has two jacks on the front,
> one for headphones and one for external amplifier. For some reason the
> default configuration is to have the external amp *on*. This mutes the
> rest of the sound (even if the channels don't show as muted in
> alsamixer.

That could be the case, I suppose.  I have three jack sockets,
headphones, mike, and one of thse symbols that might be almost anything

((o)  <--a bit like that but with a horizontal line going through the
         'o' and the right hand backet.

> In the event you have this sort of configuration, unless you get an
> external amplifier control in alsamixer, then you've not got the right
> configuration and won't get sound. It took me a while to figure that
> out... mute the external amp, and the rest of sound magically works.

> Florian's idea of moving up to a backported kernel is a good one, IMO.

Hes, I am sure that is a good idea.  Sadly I fear it will hae to wait
for a few days as I am rushed with things that matter more.

Thanks to both of you.  I guess I shall start a new thread if the saga
continues when I get back to it (or maybe there will only need to be a
single "SOLVED" posting <crosses fingers>)

--

richard