Re: Tool to configure sound

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 12:51:51PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
[...]
> I am just following Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt.
> The "Documentation" directory is part of the kernel source; you can
> also get it separately by installing the linux-doc-... package for your
> version of the kernel.
>
> One source of problems with ALSA is that each driver (snd_hda_intel in
> your case) has to support different codec chips (here: ALC883) and that
> each codec chip can come in a number of different configurations
> ("models"). The ALSA developers are in an "arms race" with the laptop
> manufacturers, trying to make sure that the driver recognizes the codec
> chip model correctly for the ever-increasing number of laptop models. In
> your case no specific codec chip model was declared when the module was
> loaded, so the default configuration was chosen. This could mean that
> there might be an additional volume control for your chip which is
> currently inaccessible to you.
>
> You can try different codec chip models (e.g. "3stack") by running:
>
> modprobe -r snd_hda_intel
> modprobe snd_hda_intel model=3stack

I tried that arbitrarily, but it didn't happen to be the one.  I shall
have to read the documentation to see what other options there are.

> There might be a model which makes sound work right away, or which at
> least gives you an additional control which you can unmute and turn up.
> Maybe one of the other workarounds discussed in ALSA-Configuration.txt
> will get you going. If you find module parameters that work then you can
> append them to the hda-intel "options" line in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
>
> Other things to consider are:
>
> - The problem might go away automatically if you upgrade to a newer
>   version of ALSA and/or the kernel. (I don't recall if you mentioned
>   which branch of Debian you are currently using.)i

Yes, I did upgrade to the latest in etch (which I am running currently)
hoping for such a miracle.  Maybe I should consider going back to sid,
which I ran for a long time previously.  I had the impression three
months or so ago that that was a bad moment to get into sid, so I am
still here in etch.

> - Maybe you can avoid the trial-and-error if you find someone who
>   figured it out already for your laptop model. (TuxMobil, etc.)

I'll go there when I have a moment

> - The ALSA mailing list is the last resort if all else fails.

Florian, thanks for all these good suggestions, and for pointing me to
the correct source for information.  I hadn't planned on becoming an
expert in alsa, but a suppose a little more knowledge will do no harm,
and might make my computer speak...

--
richard