Re: Tool to configure sound

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 01:33:26PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 12:51:51PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I am just following Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt.
> > The "Documentation" directory is part of the kernel source; you can
> > also get it separately by installing the linux-doc-... package for your
> > version of the kernel.
> >
> > One source of problems with ALSA is that each driver (snd_hda_intel in
> > your case) has to support different codec chips (here: ALC883) and that
> > each codec chip can come in a number of different configurations
> > ("models"). The ALSA developers are in an "arms race" with the laptop
> > manufacturers, trying to make sure that the driver recognizes the codec
> > chip model correctly for the ever-increasing number of laptop models. In
> > your case no specific codec chip model was declared when the module was
> > loaded, so the default configuration was chosen. This could mean that
> > there might be an additional volume control for your chip which is
> > currently inaccessible to you.
> >
> > You can try different codec chip models (e.g. "3stack") by running:
> >
> > modprobe -r snd_hda_intel
> > modprobe snd_hda_intel model=3stack
>
> I tried that arbitrarily, but it didn't happen to be the one.  I shall
> have to read the documentation to see what other options there are.

I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread yet or not, but at
least some (well, okay, one -- mine!) distinguishes between onboard
sound and an external amplifier. My rig has two jacks on the front,
one for headphones and one for external amplifier. For some reason the
default configuration is to have the external amp *on*. This mutes the
rest of the sound (even if the channels don't show as muted in
alsamixer.

In the event you have this sort of configuration, unless you get an
external amplifier control in alsamixer, then you've not got the right
configuration and won't get sound. It took me a while to figure that
out... mute the external amp, and the rest of sound magically works.

Florian's idea of moving up to a backported kernel is a good one, IMO.