Re: gnome screensavers - can I get more?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:41:23 +0000 (UTC)

> Hello,
>
> I don't seem to have a very wide variety of screensavers under gnome
> (5 basic ones).
>
> 1) Are more available?
> 2) From where?
> 3) How do install them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

I don't think so.  I tried installing other screensavers, IE,
the package electricsheep, and it did not appear in the list of
available screensavers in gnome-screensaver.  I checked the net, to see
if art.gnome.org provided any, but, no, it did not.

xscreensaver provides more; so, you could switch.  When I used
xscreensaver, I found that its presence interfered with my playing
fullscreen sdl games such as defendguin, or Quake; so, I gave up on
xscreensaver.  It was a while ago that I used xscreensaver.  So, this
may not be an issue any more.  If not, and if xscreensaver is now
bug-free, one wonders why gnome-screensaver is even being built at
all.  Of course, are screensavers even necessary?  But I digress.

There is a site that describes how to get xscreensaver's screensavers to
work on gnome-screensaver.  It's at
http://philcrissman.com/2006/07/25/howto-add-your-xscreensavers-to-gnome-screensaver/

I've not tried KDE's kscreensaver, but it, apparently, already has a
package that allows for standard xscreensavers to be used (that being,
kscreensaver-xsavers).  Why there isn't a similar package for
gnome-screensaver is a mystery.  Perhaps, in line with gnome's human
interface guidelines, they feel that too much choice will confuse us
users.  Therefore, only a few choices, like planets, ugly floating
feet, and pathetic "pop-tart-squares", are provided.

Best of luck,

Mark