btlaunchmany threads always dying

I am setting up a Debian Etch system as a dedicated bittorrent seed for the torrents found at http://www.oggfrog.com/music

I have my .torrent files in /etc/btlaunchmany/active and the payload files in /var/bittorrent/torrentfiles

If I test with btdownloadcurses or btdownloadheadless, right away the files are verified and seeded.

But if I use btlaunchmany, I get a bunch of error messages. My command line is:

btlaunchmany /etc/btlaunchmany/active --minport 40000 --maxport 40010 --max_upload_rate 128

the error messages are:

/etc/btlaunchmany/active/Michael David Crawford - Geometric Visions 1994 - Ogg Vorbis q6: try 5 died, retry in 1

/etc/btlaunchmany/active/Michael David Crawford - Geometric Visions 1994 - Ogg Vorbis q6: Spd: 0 B/s:0 B/s Tot: 0.0 M:0.0 M [starting]

Michael David Crawford - Geometric Visions 1994 - Ogg Vorbis q6.torrent died 6 times, added to dead list

so it looks like my seed threads are repeatedly and immediately dying, but I can't figure out why. Google and the Debian bug database don't yield any insights.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rippit
--
Rippit the Ogg Frog
rippit@oggfrog.com

  Software isn't the only thing that should be free.
        Music should be too, as it once was.