Re: Thinkpad T20 wireless troubles - revisited

Sjoerd Hiemstra(shiems146@kpnplanet.nl) is reported to have said:
> In an effort to get wireless on my IBM Thinkpad T30 laptop working,
> Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> > > The installer saw three connection systems in the laptop:
> > >   - wireless connection with interface wifi0
> > >   - wireless connection with interface eth0
> > >   - ethernet connection with interface eth1.
> > > Odd enough, only eth0 worked, not wifi0 as one would expect.
> >
> > Now we need even more info.  Did you use the orinoco card to do the
> > install or was it eth1?  I suspect eth1 might be an IBM internal
> > Wireless interface.
>
> The installer used eth0, as far as I recall.
>
> > At a console prompt do
> >
> > lspci -v
> >
> > Be sure the orinoco in plugged in when you run that.
> > That will tell us what the Network interfaces are.  They work in
> > windows so we have to find out what they are.  We need the lines like
> > these from my T40.
> >
> > 0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corp. PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B
> > Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)
> >
> > 0000:02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801BD PRO/100 VE (MOB)
> > Ethernet Controller (rev 81)
>
> Relevant output of 'lspci -v':
>
>     02:02.0 Network controller: AIRONET Wireless Communications Cisco
>     Aironet Wireless 802.11b
>
>     02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801CAM (ICH3)
>     PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet controller (rev 42)
>
> (As a sidenote, there's no orinoco card; the OP had one.)
>
> > Most (all) IBM interfaces will work in Linux so you need to know what
> > modules have to be loaded before bringing the interfaces up.
>
> >From [1] I found that I probably need to do a 'modprobe airo_cs'.

Add the airo_cs to /etc/modules. ie 'cat airo_cs >> /etc/modules'
or put it in the interfaces file

auto eth1
interface eth1 inet dhcp
    pre-up modprobe airo_cs
    post-down rmmod airo_cs

> Following the directions at [2], the entry for wifi0
> in /etc/network/interfaces now looks like this:
>
>     iface wifi0 inet dhcp
>     wireless-essid <....>
>     wireless-key <....>
>     auto wifi0
>     allow-hotplug wifi0
>
> If I do an 'iwlist wifi0 scan' then my AP is detected correctly (as
> well as two neighbouring APs - interesting).
>
> There is only one remaining obstacle.
> The following messages appear if I do an 'ifup wifi0'.
> They also appear after '/etc/init.d/networking stop' and then
> '/etc/init.d/networking start'.
> And they also appear if I do a 'dhclient wifi0'.

Prior to doing the ifup, what does iwconfig show?

I have 5 wireless interfaces set up on my T40.  Some of them will not
come up if I do the 'iwconfig wlan0 essid "myAP"' _before_ I do the
'ifconfig wlan0 up'.  It seems to depend on the different drivers but
the ifconfig works, here, for all of them.

So I have a small script that I use to bring
up which ever one I want to use.  The script brings up all the
interfaces in the same way.

1. Bring up the interface using 'ifconfig <interface>'
2. Run 'iwlist <interface> scan'
3, Get which AP to connect to.  (any) is allowed
4. Run 'iwconfig <interface> essid (answer from 3)'
5. Run 'dhclient <interface>'
6. Run 'ifconfig <interface>'  (To show the connection is up.)

I also don't use WPA on my AP as I have the dhcp server set to allow
only our MAC addresses and have it set to assign static IP addresses
based on those MAC's.

We are very rural here.  :-)  Besides being only on dialup now.

>     wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
>     wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
>     Listening on LPF/wifi0/
>     Sending on LPF/wifi0/
>     Sending on Socket/fallback
>     DHCPDISCOVER on wifi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
>     DHCPDISCOVER on wifi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
>     DHCPDISCOVER on wifi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
>     DHCPDISCOVER on wifi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
>     DHCPDISCOVER on wifi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
>     DHCPDISCOVER on wifi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
>     No DHCPOFFERS received.
>     No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>
> Something wrong with DHCP on the AP?  My main computer works well with
> it, through a wired ethernet connection.

Maybe.  I used wireshark to capture the traffic to/from the AP to
troubleshoot connection problems.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne

--