Re: Default Gnome2 Font

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 16:29:15 +0200, Mirco Piccin wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> >> thanks for the suggest, but output about screen resolution is correct:
> >>
> >> # xdpyinfo | egrep 'dimens|resol'
> >>   dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (286x214 millimeters)    <- that is my
> >> screen resolution..
> >>   resolution:    124x125 dots per inch
> >>

> >> For now i modify manually the fonts and fonts size from "Appereance"
> menu,
> >> but is not enought.
> >> I'd like to know which is the "mint" fonts config....
> >
> >Try to set Xft.dpi explicitly to the correct value:
> >
> >echo "Xft.dpi: 124" | xrdb -merge -
>
> All seem rigth, but i have still the problem.
> I try to boot with a live cd.
> And i discover that i must set another Resolution in the
> System -> Preference ->Appereance -> Fonts -> Details
>
> Infact if i here define a "Resolution: 96 dots per inch", all fonts
> dimension in right. Ant here's the solution (i think) to this problem.
> If i define instead "Resolution: 124 dots per inch", all fonts dimension
> seem bigger.

What do you mean by "right" font dimensions? If the size of a font is
given in "points" then this is an absolute measure. In computer
typography a point corresponds to 1/72 of an inch (about 0.35 mm) [1].
If you system is set up correctly then a "12pt" font should be displayed
with a size of about 4.2 mm. (As far as I know, this is measured for the
full height, from ascent to descent; see [2] for a drawing.)

You should get the right font size if all the resolutions are specified
correctly. You might have adapted your font size preferences to an
incorrectly configured system earlier. The only way to know if the sizes
are correct is to put a ruler to the screen and measure (at least
approximately).

> But, i don't understand: if i have a bigger resolution, i should have
> smaller fonts, or not???

If you specify a larger resolution then the typesetting engine will
think that your dots on the screen are smaller than they actually are.
It will therefore use too many of the screen dots to make one "point"
(which should be 1/72 of an inch) and your fonts will become too large.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_%28typography%29
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-height

          Florian   |