Re: What is a binNMU?

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:05:04AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I like to use wajig as a frontend to apt but it has been removed from
> Sid because it depends on python-apt, which is also missing,  apparently
> because of a binNMU connected with apt. I have no idea what a binNMU is.
> Googling produces a lot of uses of the term but no explanation. I have
> used Debian for a number of years but this is the first time I've heard
> of it.
>
> There was an upgrade of apt yesterday but this did not solve the
> problem. Can someone kindly enlighten me about binNMU or point me to
> some documentation about it?

Some background:
when a Debian developer (DD) chooses to be the lead maintainer for a package,
he/she makes 'maintainer' uploads of software. These are normal. When
some other DD changes something to his/her package and uploads those
changes, he/she is making a non-maintiner upload (NMU). Now, sometimes
that upload is only the 'binary' package, not a 'source' package. So this
is a binNMU: a binary package upload by a non-lead debian developer. I
hope this is correct and somewhat helpful or if not, some kind person
will correct what I've missed. It is something that is not very common.
and is noted normally by a 'b' in the version numbers.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|