Re: SMTP smart host authentication fails

Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> writes:

> You have to configure exim to authenticate itself on port 587
> (submission port) using your smtp username and password.
> This is what they mean by enabling authentication.
> Your current exim configuration doesn't seem to have the username &
> password parameters.
> Sorry I cant help you on configuring exim as I have never used it.
>
> Mihira.

Mihira, thanks. The ISP didn't tell me they were shifting to SSL, and
so I assumed the port was to be at their end.

Unfortunately, I don't have a decent HOWTO for ports, and so am
uncertain. I added the line:

    ssmtp  587/tcp smtps   # SMTP over SSL

to /etc/inetd.conf, but not sure of first "s" here. I then restarted
the inetd (I ran through a reconfiguration of exim4 to restart inetd,
but suppose I could as well have done: # /usr/sbin/inetd restart (I'm
running debian etch).

For exim, the UID and PW are kept in a separate file,
/etc/exim4/passwd.client. I had to change the server address here as
well as in the exim4 configuration:

  smtp.hartford-hwp.com:<PW>

I believe the syntax here is correct. However, I still can't send out
mail. Here is an example of the exim4/mainlog entry:

2007-10-27 08:51:05 1Ill85-0002gD-1O
  <= brownh@teufel.hartford-hwp.com U=brownh P=local S=478
2007-10-27 08:51:05 1Ill85-0002gD-1O
  no IP address found for host smtp.hartford-hwp.com
2007-10-27 08:51:05 1Ill85-0002gD-1O
  == boggus@msn.com R=smarthost defer (-1):
  lookup of host "smtp.hartford-hwp.com" failed in smarthost router
2007-10-27 08:51:05 1Ill85-0002gD-1O
  => brownh <brownh@teufel.hartford-hwp.com> R=local_user T=mail_spool

I'm not being authenticated on the SMTP server.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM