Re: Web cam Philips 0471:032d not seen

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:11:15AM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> > Have you grepped that USB ID from the source to confirm it's in there?
> > Despite what the website says, if the USB ID isn't in there, then it
> > won't get loaded. Also, it looks like you're installing the module
> > from the build tree instead of from the usual
> > /lib/modules/... location, maybe your depmod hasn't picked it up.

> Well, I am still fairly new to linux, so if you please help me a bit
> more:

no problem.

> How can i grep that USB ID from the source?

grep is a tool that allows you to search through files looking for
particular strings and if it finds those strings, it will display the
lines it found the string in. In your case I would:

cd /path/to/source/directory

grep -r 'USBID' .

the first command is to change you to the source directory for the
upstream package you are using. This is the tarball you downloaded
from the gspca website. it will be a directory called
gspca-something-or-other.

in the second command, you should replace USBID with the actual usb id
reported for the device. it will look through all the files in the
present directory (that's what '.' means) and all the subdirectories
(that what '-r' means) looking for USBID. It will display the lines
that contain USBID. If it doesn't find USBID, then that driver won't
work because it won't be able to identify the camera.

> How can i install install the module from the usual /lib/....

the usual method for doing this is very simple.

first, install the kernel headers for your system:

aptitude install linux-headers-`uname -r`

then download the upstream tarball from the website and unpack it

tar -xzvf name-of-tarball.tar.gz

this will make a directory called name-of-tarball, change to it:

cd name-of-tarball

configure the package (may not be necessary):

./configure

build the package:

make

install the package (do this as root):

make install

and that should do it. since this is a module you're building, its
usually a good idea to then run

depmod

which will run through all the modules and build a dependency tree so
that you can get things to work properly.

Finally, plug the camera in and look at /var/log/syslog to see what
happens.

> Sorry, but with my knowledge, I am feeling like I am reading ancient Greek!!!

Keep at it, you'll get it. The effort is worth it as the reward is a
computer that *you* control!