Re: Web cam Philips 0471:032d not seen

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:11:15AM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> > Have you grepped that USB ID from the source to confirm it's in there?
> > Despite what the website says, if the USB ID isn't in there, then it
> > won't get loaded. Also, it looks like you're installing the module
> > from the build tree instead of from the usual
> > /lib/modules/... location, maybe your depmod hasn't picked it up.
> >
> > hth.

> Well, I am still fairly new to linux, so if you please help me a bit more:
> How can i grep that USB ID from the source?
> How can i install install the module from the usual /lib/....
> Sorry, but with my knowledge, I am feeling like I am reading ancient Greek!!!
> Thierry

There is a table that lists the usb ids and tells what module to load.
So if this list is out-of-date, the kernel will not automatically load
the modeles. If I recall, 'update-usbids' might fix that issue. Also,
manufacturers sometimes change the chipset used in devices and thus one
unit may work while a later model may not. Sometimes you can tell by
looking at the version number of the device (version 2, model X,
revision C or something like that).
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|