Re: linux-sound-base requires udev!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:23:27PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Why? I have been running without udev without problems and for the few things
> that need a directory to place a udev rule, I simply create the directory

I do not use udev and I am happy with all the systems I have used
without it. If for some strange reason on one (obviously debian) machine
I want (i.e. I am almost forced) to install udev (and immediately
disable it), I follow the documentation:

Disabling udev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You may configure in /etc/udev/udev.conf a directory other than /dev.

And so I do the following: before installing udev, I do

#!/bin/sh
mkdir /dev/udev
mkdir /etc/udev
cat<<EOF>/etc/udev/udev.conf
# udev.conf

# The initial syslog(3) priority: "err", "info", "debug" or its
# numerical equivalent. For runtime debugging, the daemons internal
# state can be changed with: "udevcontrol log_priority=<value>".
udev_log="err"

# maximum size of the /dev tmpfs
tmpfs_size="10M"

###### see /usr/share/doc/udev/READEME.Debian.gz
udev_root="/dev/udev"
######
EOF

Then I install udev, and I say "N" when it offers to overwrite /etc/udev/udev.conf

But unfortunately at installation time (and only then) udev (on etch at least)
for some reason mounts /dev and not even
/etc/init.d/udev stop
umounts it.
Fortunately, umouunt has a -l switch. So

/etc/init.d/udev stop
umount -f -l /dev/

If one then restarts udev it correctly handles /dev/udev/ instead of /dev/

Finally I disable the automatic starting of udev at boot. Pick your
preferred method to do it. You can still manually start udev when you
want to se what modules to load for new hardware, and use whatever other
method you prefer to load the modules, such as /etc/modules