Re: linux-sound-base requires udev!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:23:27PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Why? I have been running without udev without problems and for the few things
> that need a directory to place a udev rule, I simply create the directory
> when an error messages complains about this. So ... the rule is there and I
> do not use it.

Interesting. I had always sort of assumed you *need* udev and can't
really get by without it. Of course, in retrospect, this is silly as
you can create static /dev/foo.

> Maybe it is time to go to udev, it does work fine on some distro-images I have
> booted or run in qemu, but postings here complain of too many problems :-)

I think its a matter of only hearing from those who have problems. I
personally have had exactly zero problems with udev but that's of
course anecdotal evidence and shouldn't significantly sway your
opinion...

I suspect that for the vast majority of people, its no problem at
all. And you can likely still operate without it. As a guess, you
could probably see what it does for linux sound base and then
duplicate it with static /dev entries and then shut udev down and
leave it that way.