Re: linux-sound-base requires udev!

On Thursday 18 October 2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > Why? I have been running without udev without problems and for the few
> > things that need a directory to place a udev rule, I simply create the
> > directory
>
> I do not use udev and I am happy with all the systems I have used
> without it. If for some strange reason on one (obviously debian) machine
> I want (i.e. I am almost forced) to install udev (and immediately
> disable it), I follow the documentation:
>
> Disabling udev
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> You may configure in /etc/udev/udev.conf a directory other than /dev.
>
> And so I do the following: before installing udev, I do
>
> #!/bin/sh
> mkdir /dev/udev
> mkdir /etc/udev
> cat<<EOF>/etc/udev/udev.conf
> # udev.conf
>
> # The initial syslog(3) priority: "err", "info", "debug" or its
> # numerical equivalent. For runtime debugging, the daemons internal
> # state can be changed with: "udevcontrol log_priority=<value>".
> udev_log="err"
>
> # maximum size of the /dev tmpfs
> tmpfs_size="10M"
>
> ###### see /usr/share/doc/udev/READEME.Debian.gz
> udev_root="/dev/udev"
> ######
> EOF
>
> Then I install udev, and I say "N" when it offers to overwrite
> /etc/udev/udev.conf
>
> But unfortunately at installation time (and only then) udev (on etch at
> least) for some reason mounts /dev and not even
> /etc/init.d/udev stop
> umounts it.
> Fortunately, umouunt has a -l switch. So
>
> /etc/init.d/udev stop
> umount -f -l /dev/
>
> If one then restarts udev it correctly handles /dev/udev/ instead of /dev/
>
> Finally I disable the automatic starting of udev at boot. Pick your
> preferred method to do it. You can still manually start udev when you
> want to se what modules to load for new hardware, and use whatever other
> method you prefer to load the modules, such as /etc/modules

Argh!

Udev provides hotplug services. One can, of course, explicitely modprobe every
module that hotplug would have found for you (i.e. place in /etc/modules).
Because now, re-installing hotplug will remove udev and linux-sound-base.

My guess would be to eliminate this dependency and place a changelog that
certain udev folders may be needed. Superluous!