Re: Can't upgrade to xserver-xorg, help!

On 10/16/07, Emre Sevinc <emres@bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:

> So I'm back to where I've started, it complains about `/usr/X11R6/bin' and x11-common_1%3a7.3+2_i386.deb. What am I supposed to do now? Any suggestions? I tried to remove xprt:
>
> # dpkg --purge xprt
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of xprt:
>  xprt-common depends on xprt-xprintorg | xprt; however:
>   Package xprt-xprintorg is not installed.
>   Package xprt is to be removed.
> dpkg: error processing xprt (--purge):
>  dependency problems - not removing
>  Xprt
>
> # dpkg --purge xprt-common
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of xprt-common:
>  xprt depends on xprt-common.
> dpkg: error processing xprt-common (--purge):
>  dependency problems - not removing
>  xprt-common
>
> # dpkg --purge xprt-xprintorg
> dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove xprt-xprintorg which isn't installed.
>
> And I'm simply stuck at this point...

Jumping into the conversation late here, but I would try purging
xprt and xprt-common with one command:
"dpkg --purge xprt xprt-common"
Try reversing the order or adding more related packages if needed.

I think you could also use the "--force-depends" option:
"dpkg --purge --force-depends xprt xprt-common"

Double check that there is not anything weird in your X11R6/bin/
directory. I had problems because Opera left something in there
even when I uninstalled it (the entire X11R6 dir will be going away).

Cheers,
Kelly