Re: Can't upgrade to xserver-xorg, help!

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 09:21:51PM +0300, Emre Sevinc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Debian unstable, Linux debian 2.6.11-1-686 kernel and I haven't upgraded for a while and now decided to instal xorg so I have run (after quitting X and from a terminal):

if you're sources are still pointing at sid/unstable, then you're so
far behind that you're really going to have problems. What I recommend
you do is change your sources to point to etch/stable. Do an apt-get
update && apt-get dist-upgrade and provide us with the results
verbatim. This would allow us to help you get moved from your very out
of date sid to the current stable. Once that's sorted, then you can
move on to sid if you like.

> So now I can't start my X system.
>
> What must I do to be able to continue xserver-xorg installation without any problems?

yeah, it sounds pretty broken. If you decide *not* to do the above,
then at least provide us with the actual output of apt-get instead of
paraphrasing. But I think you're going to end up having to manually
remove the X system and reinstall it after a proper dist-upgrade.