Re: offline news reader

* Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> [071013 22:49]:
> Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > gnus
>
> Does it come with any documentation at all? The /usr/share/doc/gnus seems to
> be pretty useless for setting this up.
>
> apt-cache search gnus documentation
>
> does not yield any relevant hits. I could go to google and try to look for
> some tutorial but if every Debian user has to go through this convoluted
> route, then it does not make any sense. Am I missing something obvious
> here?
>
> raju
> --
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

I am not a Gnus guru, but I managed to set up Gnus and get it working,
both for reading news and as a mail user agent (MUA).  As might be
expected, the most difficult part is the configuration file.

I run Emacs (and in X, I run XEmacs).  Gnus runs under Emacs or
XEmacs.  If that is a problem for you, then forgive me for suggesting
Gnus.

For the on-line documentation, first install Gnus (you always can
un-install it), and then type "M-x gnus"; this brings up "gnus.info"

And then there is the Gnus manual, which you can find with a Google
search on "gnus manual"; it is the first item on the list:

    http://gnus.org/manual.html

And with a few minutes of searching with Google, you can turn up any
number of sample configuration files and guides.  Your only problem is
likely to be running out of paper, laser toner, or ring binders.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I run Mutt for mail.  Curiously, it was my first attempt to use Mutt
which led me to Gnus.  Several years ago, I tried to get started with
Mutt, but I could not figure out the configuration file.  Then I tried
Gnus, got it working, and used it for two or three years.  Within the
last year, something drew my attention to Mutt.  This time I found a
good Mutt HowTo, got Mutt working, and I currently am using Mutt.  But
it is almost a coin-toss.  I may switch back to Gnus.  Both Mutt and
Gnus are excellent for mail.

Both Mutt and Gnus are quite efficient at handling large numbers of
messages; there doesn't appear to be anything else in their class.
Both are keyboard-oriented; you don't need the rodent.

Both Mutt and Gnus are a bit obscure.  At present, Mutt appears to
have a more active community ready to offer assistance.

But Gnus is first of all a news reader, so if you are looking for a
news reader, give Gnus a try.  And if you like it for news, then give
it a try for mail.

RLH