Re: offline news reader

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> writes:

> Russell L. Harris wrote:
>>
>> gnus
>
> Does it come with any documentation at all? The /usr/share/doc/gnus seems to
> be pretty useless for setting this up.

See [1], which is apparently not going to be fixed; the Debian Gnus
maintainer does not seem to care much about his package.  If you want
to give Gnus a try, I suggest that you use either the one that comes
with Emacs 22 (install the emacs22-common-non-dfsg package from
non-free to get the documentation) or the stable Gnus 5.10.8, available
at http://gnus.org/dist/gnus-5.10.8.tar.gz, if you are using Etch and
Emacs 21.

> apt-cache search gnus documentation
>
> does not yield any relevant hits. I could go to google and try to look for
> some tutorial but if every Debian user has to go through this convoluted
> route, then it does not make any sense. Am I missing something obvious
> here?

Well, if you depend on getting documentation along with the software,
Debian probably is the wrong operating system for you ([1], [2], [3],
[4]).  Don't expect to be able to use it without googling around and
finding the docs missing from Debian.

[4] http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/w3-el-e21/news/20060611T233237Z.html