Re: The effectiveness of 'make uninstall' command

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I recently compiled a bunch of software on my Debian Etch system for
> testing. After testing I wanted to remove them and I have been running the
> 'make uninstall' command in the source code directory of the respective
> application. I was curious as to how effective this command was. It seems
> like it removes everything it installs.
>
> Now this brings up the obvious question of the usefulness of the
> checkinstall software for managing installations outside of debian repos.
> I understand checkinstall is probably usefull for computers in a lab setup
> but for personal workstation, 'make install' and 'make uninstall' seems to
> be sufficient.
>
> Any comments?

Sometime back I compiled subversion's upstream version on a CentOS machine
(the actual OS does not matter in this case) and discovered that subversion
does not come with a 'make uninstall' option. You have to literally figure
out the list of binaries, libraries created by the 'make install' command
and then remove those files manually. If this is the case with a well
established software like subversion, I would be reluctant about relying
too much on 'make instal|uninstall' capabilities.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi