The effectiveness of 'make uninstall' command

Hey guys,

I recently compiled a bunch of software on my Debian Etch system for testing. After testing I wanted to remove them and I have been running the 'make uninstall' command in the source code directory of the respective application. I was curious as to how effective this command was. It seems like it removes everything it installs.

Now this brings up the obvious question of the usefulness of the checkinstall software for managing installations outside of debian repos. I understand checkinstall is probably usefull for computers in a lab setup but for personal workstation, 'make install' and 'make uninstall' seems to be sufficient.

Any comments?

--
Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu>