Re: PATH to java in X11

I'm running Lenny.
I've inserted the lines to .bashrc as you sad
but it only worked to the terminal
it had no effect in gnome (eg: using Alt+F2)

I inserted 'source /etc/profile' directly into
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/55gnome-session_gnomerc

and it's working now!
I still want to know the correct way to do this.
if you someone knows, please send.

Thanks,

On 9/30/07, Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
On 09/30/2007 06:39 PM, Henrique G. Abreu wrote:
> I've created /etc/environment file like this
> JAVA_HOME="/opt/jdk1.5.0_12"
> export JAVA_HOME
>
> PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin"
> export PATH

Don't set the PATH this way. Specify the path list fully:

JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.5.0_12
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:$JAVA_HOME/bin
export PATH JAVA_HOME

Find out your current PATH before and add :$JAVA_HOME/bin to the end of it.

> The first time I started and logged into gdm, it failed.
> Then I went to /etc/ and changed environment permissions.
> Ok, I managed to log in, but PATH doesn't have /opt/jdk1.5.0_12/bin
> I can't run a program that uses java from the menu link
> Only if a open gnome-terminal with any user and call the program, it works.
>
> I know its possible to make a "workaround" starting everything thought
> terminal, but it's horrible!
> Or go to "/usr/bin" and "ln -s ..." everything in JAVA_HOME/bin
> but that is not the point, I MUST know how to set PATH variable because its
> ridiculous. I no windows user.
>
> Thanks,

Both my Sarge and Etch installations have /etc/environment. You might
not be running Debian at all.

If it's obvious that /etc/environment is being ignored, you can place
this line in ~/.bashrc

. /etc/environment

Or you can just place the PATH and JAVA_HOME adjustments directly into
~/.bashrc.