Re: nvidia-glx and xorg

On 9/29/07, Francisco M Neto <fmneto.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/07, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:

> > OK, I'll try it again...OK, m-a a-i got and built the nvidia kernel module....
>
>    Good! =)

Actually, the upgrade to get the nvidia drivers went better than
expected. In sum, I got the nvidia-kernel-source package from sid,
which brought in a few kernel-related and other building related
packages, and then I tried substituting "nvidia" for "nv" in the
xorg.conf file. This did not work, since I was using 2.6.21-k7 kernel
from Etch, and because it couldn't load the module because of the
paravirt ops thing. So I rebooted into sid's kernel (2.6.22-2-k7) and
tried to start X again. This time if failed because the module
couldn't be found. No duh, because of course, I had compiled
nvidia-kernel-source for 2.6.21 and not 2.6.22-2. So OK, I go and
rerun m-a a-i nvidia, build it, and then finally I am able to startx
again and the nvidia splash screen comes up just like it should :). Oh
joy.. and 3d direct rendering works again! sweet! :)

compiz may be really really old because it starts out but it froze the
whole x session within a minute or so (i just saw a little wobbly in
my windows!) and I had to reboot the computer :(.