Re: Does lilo still have a limit on it's menu entries?

On Saturday 29 September 2007 19:43, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 09/29/2007 12:23 PM, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I usually keep all kernels. Alright the ones that don't boot properly can
> > go, but sometimes older, non udev ones, are usefull to keep if you are
> > appearing to have problems with the udev ones. I constantly get problems
> > with udev kernels and my TVcard /dev/video0, and the webcam /dev/video1.
> > Very hit and miss as to which app gets which video device.
> >
> > Someone on the list gave me some rules for udev, but they don't appear to
> > be working. I'll have to start a new thread on that one.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> To resolve the problems between udev and your tv-card, you might
> consider blacklisting the respective modules and loading the modules in
> a specified order by placing their names in /etc/modules.

Yes. That's an idea. Non udev kernels (2.6.8, and 2.6.11) that use devfs have
no problems. The TV PCI card is constantly /dev/video0, and the USB webcam
is /dev/video1. As soon as Udev enters the equation it's anybodies guess,
what will be what. At the moment on Fedora 7, where I have the same problem,
I have 2 desktop launchers for Xawtv. One pointing to /dev/video0, and the
other to /dev/video1. If one doesn't work, I try the other. It is a bit of a
joke to have to do this though.

Having had problems with USB stuff before, where the USB is started early in
the boot process I think I might try blacklisting just the ov511 driver for
the USB webcam, and then add it, with it's options to /etc/modules. If that
doesn't work, I'll leave it blacklisted, and put it in rc.local, which is run
last, and give that a try.

I'll post back on the results.

> To solve another kind of udev problem on my system, I created an
> alternate device nodes directory called /devs2, and I placed my nodes
> there.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel.