Re: Does lilo still have a limit on it's menu entries?

On Saturday 29 September 2007 05:04, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 09/28/2007 03:18 PM, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > All my Debian installs, Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, originally started off as
> > Woody 3.0r2, and LiLo was, and still is the bootloader. I installed on
> > Etch yesterday the 2.6.18-5 kernel, which shows up in /boot ok, but
> > running lilo doesn't add it to lilo's menu.
> >
> > I read a while back that earlier versions of lilo could only have 6
> > entries on the menu. My lilo version is 1:22.6.1-9.3.
> >
> > The original kernel when I installed Woody 3.0r2 was a bf one. It is
> > still listed in /boot, and on lilo's menu. but is nowhere to be seen in
> > synaptic, and no longer will boot with Etch. On the face of it, I can't
> > see how to remove this original boot floppy kernel.
> >
> > Can I just delete all references to the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel in /boot?
> > Then run lilo again. It seems a bit of a hack, but I can't see any way
> > around it as synaptic doesn't even list the bf kernel, and you can't
> > uninstall something that's not on the list.
> >
> > /etc/lilo.conf is below. [...]
>
> I have very little experience with Lilo under Debian, though I used it
> under Slackware.

I first encountered lilo on Mandrake 9.2, and must admit that I had terrible
problems with both LiLo, and Grub when I first started off with Linux, and
setting up dual, and triple boot installs. I've sort of got them under
control now, but it wasn't much fun at the time. Now the bootloader for the
first install goes in the MBR, and the bootloaders for the subsequent
installs go in their respective / partitions. Then I boot up the first
install and add chainloaders pointing to the / partitions of the other
distros on the drive.

> I don't know about the six item limit, but I suggest you manually delete
> the references to the bf kernels, but read "man liloconfig" and "man
> update-lilo" first. If the bf kernels do not appear in /boot,
> update-lilo may remove them from /etc/lilo.conf automatically.

I've temporarily renamed the bf2 files in /boot, and commented out the stanzas
for the bf2 kernel in /etc/lilo.conf, but am going to remove them completely
as they are no longer useable on Etch.

> I also suggest that you remove, possibly using synaptic, any kernels
> that don't boot the system up properly.

I usually keep all kernels. Alright the ones that don't boot properly can go,
but sometimes older, non udev ones, are usefull to keep if you are appearing
to have problems with the udev ones. I constantly get problems with udev
kernels and my TVcard /dev/video0, and the webcam /dev/video1. Very hit and
miss as to which app gets which video device.

Someone on the list gave me some rules for udev, but they don't appear to be
working. I'll have to start a new thread on that one.

Thanks for the reply.

Nigel.