Re: Sound stopped working in Sid

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2007, Chris Lale wrote:
>> Anthony Campbell wrote (on the Debian-User list)
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/09/msg02165.html :

>>> That is the version of alsa-utils I have but it doesn't fix things for
>>> me. However, Florian's solution does.
>>>
>> So, apparently, alsaconf version 1.0.14-2 has not fixed these bugs (#430624,
>> #432678)?
>>
>> --
>> Chris.
>>

> No it hasn't. I just ran it again and it removed snd_pcm_oss.

Thanks. I added a message to the bug report (432678), so, hopefully, the
maintainer will now be aware of this.

Meanwhile, you could try my workaround [1] for Etch:

"The problem in alsaconf is the result of the presence of the file
/etc/modprobe.conf. This causes /etc/modprobe.d/ to be ignored by Debian
packages (including alsaconf) which store their configuration files in
/etc/modprobe.d/. The permanent solution is to move /etc/modprobe.conf out of
the way. Do not delete it just in case there are modules listed in it by other
applications that you may need to know about if those applications start
misbehaving. Rename the file instead:

 # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete

Now run alsaconf again and everything should work."