Re: Nspluginwrapper on AMD64

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 08:46:56 +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run debian-amd64 sid on my new system and so far am very
> happy with the relative ease of the installation process (thank you
> developers).
>
> I tried to install the flashplayer-mozilla|flashplayer-nonfree. Both
> failed with the same message :
>
> nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>
> I found the bug reported on bugs.debian.org and the comment of the
> maintainer that this is probably due to a bug in chroot
> package/environment.

The two related bugs in the BTS seem to be about "experimental" versions
of flashplugin-nonfree. Which version are you trying to install? Version
9.0.48.0.2 works fine on my Sid/amd64 system, without any need for a
32bit chroot.

> AFAICT, I do not have any chroot installs other
> than that demanded by nspluginwrapper.

This statement is a bit confusing. Did you install flashplayer in a
32bit chroot or not?

I think we might have a misunderstanding here: The nspluginwrapper
package provides a means to run i386 plugins on other architectures
without having to install a 32bit chroot on your system. If you use a
32bit chroot to run i386 binaries then you have to set up the chroot
yourself first and then you can install the i386 debs in it. This used
to be necessary for the flash-plugin on amd64, but now it is not
required anymore.

> than that demanded by nspluginwrapper. The contents of the files in
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d are :
>
> libc.conf :
>   # libc default configuration
>   /usr/local/lib
>
> x86_64-linux-gnu.conf :
>   # Multiarch support
>   /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

I see the same on my system, so I think this should be OK.

> Rerunning ldconfig, did not solve the problem. But, what surprises me is
> this fact: nspluginwrapper depends on linux32, but it is not installed.
> Trying to install linux32, apt wants to remove util-linux. I am pasting
> the session below :

[...]

> The system appears not to honor the dependency requirement of
> nspluginwrapper. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Is this a bug in
> apt|aptitude or nspluginwrapper?

No, the dependency is satisfied because util-linux provides linux32:

$ apt-cache show util-linux | grep Provides
Provides: schedutils, linux32

          Florian   |