Sound stopped working in Sid

I've just discovered that my sound has disappeared following a recent
upgrade in Sid, after working flawlessly for months/years.

I suspected this was due to a problem with udev, which has recently
replaced hotplug here (not necessarily an improvement, I think).

However, "lsmod | grep snd" seems to show that the modules are loaded:

 lsmod | grep snd
snd_ens1371            24736  0
snd_rawmidi            23072  1 snd_ens1371
snd_seq_device          7884  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec         92708  1 snd_ens1371
gameport               15304  2 snd_ens1371,analog
ac97_bus                2560  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                72388  2 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              21188  1 snd_pcm
snd                    48612  6 snd_ens1371,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7712  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9800  1 snd_pcm

But aumix says there is an error opening mixer and saytime says:

arcadia:~:$ saytime
sox raw: '/usr/share/saytime/the_time_is.au': sample rate not specified; trying 8kHz
sox stio: Can't open output file '/dev/audio': Permission denied
child process returned a non-zero status 2

So I tried running sayitme as root, and got:

sudo saytime
sox raw: '/usr/share/saytime/the_time_is.au': sample rate not specified; trying 8kHz
sox stio: Failed writing /dev/audio: Unable to reset OSS driver.  Possibly accessing an invalid file/device
child process returned a non-zero status 2

Alsaconf detects my sound card (Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI rev 02) and
appears to configure things correctly. Alsamixer seems to show things
correctly as well and there is even a click from the speakers as I
finish.

So I'm not sure what to try next or where to report a bug.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian