Re: Trying to get a network printer HP LaserJet (tm) 2100tn to print from debian

On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:41 PM, J wrote:

Trying to get a network printer HP LaserJet (tm) 2100tn to print from
debian that I got for free.

Any how, KDE's add printer cannot scan and find the printer???
So, I can't add it.  Should I try to add it as
and IPP printer or other type?

For HP printers, I usually use the "socket" method of printing. (Sometimes called "raw socket" or "Jetdirect.") Pretty much every network-capable HP printer supports it and it's easy to configure.

If you can't get KDE's add printer to work, try pointing a web browser at http://localhost:631/ and setting it up using CUPS's web interface. The URL you'll want to give CUPS is "socket://192.168.1.5".

$ telnet 192.168.1.5:631
telnet: could not resolve 192.168.1.5:631/telnet: Name or service not
known

The telnet program expects a space, not a colon, between the address and port number.

e.g.,
$ telnet 192.168.1.5 631