Network settings don't stick after reboot

I have the latest version of Debian running on Linksys NSLU.  I have it set for
a static IP and I've added a correct default gateway to my config and everything
works ok.  However, when I reboot, it goes back to DHCP and the gateway route
doesn't stick.  All the correct settings in the correct files but those settings
don't get read on reboot apparently.  And if I do a restart of networking, the
correct settings get applied.  What gives?  Thanks.