Re: OT: Choice of OOo and LaTeX (Was: Tool for document management)

Neil Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 10:11:31PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> Furthermore I fail to see this supposed "don't think about the
>> formatting" simplicity when I can't even write a simple financial value
>> without resorting to escapes!

> Hardly any different from resorting to mouse clicks.  However, you seem to
> have made up your mind without actually spending some time writing a
> document or two.

    Very nice how you conveniently left out where I stated CNTL-I is fewer
keystrokes compared to {\it}.  In other words you're shifting it to a personal
attack of "look, he's one of those GUI people".  Whatever.  I don't need to
write a document or two to know that it would be inconvenient, to me, to shift
to 5 keys instead of 2 (or even 1) for a simple operation like italics and
that having to remember to escape certain normal characters would be a problem.

    The ultimate irony is that the end result of all this evangelical blather
for LaTeX has resulted in people suggesting extremely convoluted methods of
achieving a simple requirement in OOo.  Convert LaTeX to HTML and then from
HTML to Word!  That is reasonable?!  The most amusing part is that people have
suggested using a WYSIWYG editor for LaTeX... and use LaTeX because the
WYSIWYG editor called OOo is bad because it is WYSIWYG.  A-wha!?