Re: Penalty of SELinux?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:16:02 -0500, Mumia W <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> said:

>>> My objection is to having on my machine at all.
>>
>> I object to having python and tcl on my machine.
>>
>> -Miles
>>

> Your Debian machine is probably not dependent upon tcl, but Debian has
> been dependent upon python for a long time.

> However, the dependency upon SElinux is more recent. There may be time
> to remove it before it becomes too entrenched and before its tentacles
> probe too deeply into Debian.

        I think it has gone as deep as it is likely to go, and it is now
 a matter of polishing up the security policy, and trying to set up an
 install time option to allow people to boot into a secure node.  All of
 this was in place before we shipped Etch, so it is not all that recent.

> I hope it's not too late. I wish I'd educated myself about SELinux
> earlier, and I wish I could've participated in the discussions about
> SElinux in Debian. I believe that if more Debian users were aware of
> the radical nature of SElinux, its complexity and the number of core
> libraries and utilities that would have to be changed to accommodate
> it, SElinux's entry into Debian could have been averted.

        I am afraid that this is rather late in the day; Etch shipped
 fully SELinux capable, with all the patches that were needed already
 in.  We are in the  phase where SELinux patches are migrating upstream;
 PAM now comes built in with all the SELinux hooks required, for
 instance, and coreutils has most of them.

> Now we are in the unfortunate position of having to convince the
> maintainer of SElinux to advocate for the removal of his baby from his
> O/S. :-(

        I am willing to listen to reason.

        manoj
--