Re: How to reduce pdf file size with open source software?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:08:26PM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 09/24/2007 09:49 AM, Wei Wang wrote:
> > What kind of pictures do you have? Are they complex scene like pictures
> > or simple pattern based chart? You could try to convert them to JPG by
> > using low compression ratio and decrease resolution if possible. In
> > addition, it would be better you import those pictures into OOo Writer
> > and then export as PDFs. In the options of exporting PDF popup window,
> > there is an option of adjusting quality and DPI of target PDF files.

> Here's how I just handled a similar challenge.  This is a real Rube
> Goldberg solution, but it worked...
>
> My wife handed me an OOo page saved as an 8.4 Mb .doc file with 8 X 1Mb
> embedded images sized to fit on the page with some text.

wandering OT here, but use convert to resize the pictures so that they
are the proper size. Then they don't need to be resized within the
document. A 1mb image is pretty big at its native resolution, the
object is to get it sized so that no resizing within the document is
required.  Then the attached images will be as small as they can be
and still look good.

Of course, .doc is not really a great way to put something up on the
web anyway, but that's a different story and I'm surely not telling
you anything you don't already know.

current song: Weezer - Jamie/DGC Rarities Version