Re: Compiz and window decorations

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 18:01 +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> Both GNOME and XFCE4 have session managers. So if you get compiz
> running successfully, and save your session before you log out, then it
> will be there when you log in again.

    I am aware of that. My concerd, however, is if it is necessary to
start metacity only to kill it afterwards, of if compiz builds on what
metacity does.
    Anyway, I found out that the gconf key I mentioned was deprecated in
2.12, so it's no use.

    Saving the session causes problems. When I activate compiz and save
the session, when I login compiz is working, but windows don't have
decorations.

    Based on that, I think I can assume that metacity is necessary when
the session starts to draw window borders, upon which compiz takes over
later on. Therefore my solution is to add compiz to the startup programs
list in Desktop->Preferences->Sessions.

    As to xfce4, I think your solution is exactly what it takes, Andrei.
Judging from the link below, he suggests pretty much what you've done.

http://technowizah.com/2006/10/debian-how-to-aiglx-compiz.html

Best regards,
Francisco