Re: SELinux Suggestion

On 09/21/2007 10:15 PM, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
On 9/21/07, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/21/07, Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
Why is selinux in Debian at all?

Have any users asked for it?
I don't know, but if it wasn't in Debian, I would ask for it.

I don't get why people seem to think SELinux is a bad thing.

I think it got a bad reputation with Fedora Core 2. Which is
unfortunate, because it really is a good technology.

It probably is good technology. But I think it should be good technology--elsewhere.

Including SElinux in Debian is not like including tuxracer. Too much of the core security parts of Debian have to be changed to accommodate SElinux.

If I want SElinux, I should get Redhat or Fedora. But I use Debian, and I'd like to be SElinux-free here.

Manoj said that SElinux is not yet fully integrated into Debian, and I think that's good because it gives us time to re-evaluate if we need SElinux, and I hope we can re-evaluate it out of Debian.