Re: Upgrading from Etch to Lenny

* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [070920 22:21]:
> Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> * Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [070920 21:10]:

>>> May I humbly suggest that you may not have had time to learn
>>> enough about linux or Debian to run testing?  It is, after all,
>>> _testing_.

>> Humbug!  Your comment may be applicable to "unstable", but not to
>> "testing".  I ran "unstable" for about two years, and I experienced
>> very few difficulties.
>
> "Humbug" is a very strong word. It indicates intentional fraudulent
> claims. Perhaps you'd like to moderate your statement?
>
> Mike

Lighten up, Mike!  You are reading into my reply a connotation which I
did not intend and which is not supported by the context.

The meaning of a word is determined by the context in which the word
is used.  The lexicon or dictionary is merely a compilation of
meanings which commonly are given to various words.  The business of
the lexicographer is to search out and catalogue the meanings which a
word has been given in various contexts.

To be precise, the meaning of my expression "Humbug!" in the context
in question is "Your advice is overly cautious."  I could have
expressed the same meaning with the term "Nonsense!" -- a term which,
in this context, likewise should not be taken literally.

RLH